[kde-freebsd] [CFT] KDE 4.2 BETA 2 testers wanted

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 08:27:38 CET 2009

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 18:40:39 you wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 06:10:43PM +0200, David Naylor wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 January 2009 00:06:42 you wrote:
> > > We are happy to announce the first public Call for Testing
> > > with KDE 4.2.
> > >
> > > The past weeks we focused on the complex and very time
> > > consuming task to get the KDE4.2 BETA2 ports into a much
> > > better shape so we can now go on to the next step: much wider
> > > public testing.
> > >
> > > The experimental KDE ports are currently pulled from KDE
> > > 4.2 BETA 2 (4.1.85). Some of you may believe beta testing
> > > is not worth it, but we want to get KDE 4.2 better then 4.1.
> > >
> > > At the moment we would actually benefit from wider testing
> > > the well prepared KDE 4.2 BETA 2 FreeBSD builds. We would
> > > have much more opportunity and time to identify and eventually
> > > correct FreeBSD specific problems with those.
> > >
> > > We added the file UPDATING-area51. _PLEASE_ read this before you start
> > > your update.
> > >
> > > To get KDE 4.2:
> > >
> > > try
> > > svn co https://kf.athame.co.uk/kde-freebsd/tags/kde-4.1.85/
> > > /path/to/area51
> > >
> > > More infos here:
> > > https://kf.athame.co.uk/access.php
> > >
> > > I like to say Thanks to all Helpers and Submitters on the kde-freebsd@
> > > mailinglist.
> > >
> > > That's all for the moment. Happy Testing!
> > >
> > > - Martin (on behalf of the FreeBSD KDE team)
> > >
> > >     PS: Don't forget to read the UPDATING-area51 :P
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've notices 4.1.87 has been released.  I assume this is an 'unofficial'
> > release and area51 will be leap-frogging to RC1?  (And thus we should not
> > wait for 4.1.87 to be tagged and test 4.1.85?).
> >
> > Onto something more pressing: I see there is not the equivalent KDE4
> > version of kdeaddons!  Is there a particular story regarding this?
> >
> > I'll start downloading the source files tonight and inform you how it
> > goes.
> >
> > Thanks for the great work,
> >
> > David
>
> RC1 is 4.1.97 which come out in the next days.
>
> - Martin

Hi,

I had a single problem in downloading the source files.  It appears
kde4-l10n-en_GB is not happy (and I assume all the other kde4-l10n-*):
 - distinfo was incorrect with version 4.1.3
 - the MASTER_SITES didn't work: unable to fetch file
I assume the first point is related to the second and I am hoping the second
is related to this being a beta release?  Anywayz...

There were no problems in compiling KDE4 (and konq-plugins) with python26 and
db46 as defaults.

The following were are things that didn't work:
 - strigi doesn't start: ("Failed to contact Strigi indexer (No such method
currentF..gi at object path '/nepomukstrigiservice' (signature ''))" -
displayed in 'Desktop Search - System Settings'
 - Power Management (following doesn't work - that should):
  + Scaling: not supported,
  + CPU Policies: "no methods found",
  + suspend methods: "no methods found"
 - Samba doesn't know about the default location for smb.conf
 - There is a marked slowdown in rendering widgets on screen (with the same
compositing options as 4.1).  Best example is System Settings -> Desktop ->
Desktop Effects -> All Effects
 - HTTPS proxy doesn't work (have no idea why)
 - SOCKS proxy doesn't  work (does not even have a config option)
 - krunner crashed once (no bt :-()

Unfortunately the proxy issues are very critical for me.

Otherwise, everything works and I can see a marked polishing of KDE4.

Great work :-)

David