[kde-freebsd] Plasma crashes caused by Kopete

Jesco Freund jesco.freund at my-universe.com
Mon Feb 16 22:24:40 CET 2009

Dear all,

I recently upgraded vom KDE 4.1.x to 4.2.0. Unfortunately, Kopete now makes
plasma die when displaying announcement messages (the little black boxes
hovering above the systray). To be more precise, plasma crashes when a user
interacts with such a notification box or touches any Kopete component while a
notification box is still visible (I turned them off as a workaround, but
well, it's not really a solution...)

Fortunately, I got hold of a plasma core dump when it crashed in such a
situation. But since I didn't build a debug system, the information I can
extract from it are rather thin (here's the GDB output, I stripped the whole

gdb /usr/local/kde4/bin/plasma plasma.core
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...
Core was generated by `plasma'.
Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
#0  0x29b06237 in thr_kill () from /lib/libc.so.7
[New Thread 0x37588600 (LWP 100155)]
[New Thread 0x3715eb00 (LWP 100251)]
[New Thread 0x2ba01100 (LWP 100245)]

The system I run is a i386 FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p2 with minor modifications to
the kernel (dropped some SCSI and NIC drivers not available in my box). It's a
fresh installation, I just installed X and KDE4 from the ports (ok,
portmaster, vim-lite and so on, but no remainders of KDE4.1) I've got the
following stuff in my make.conf that's related to my KDE build:

CPUTYPE?=               pentium4
CFLAGS=                 -O2 -pipe

Did anyone else experience a similar behaviour, or did I just screw up my box
by something?

Regards,
Jesco

--