[kde-freebsd] PulseAudio and KDEBase-Runtime

Matt datahead4 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 16:02:48 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:10 PM, David Naylor <naylor.b.david at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 February 2009 23:28:29 Max Brazhnikov wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 22:34:53 +0200, David Naylor wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've found a rather nasty, reproducible, bug.  When kdebase-runtime is
>> > compiled with pulseaudio support then KDE fails to login on the first
>> > attempt.  X/KDE appears to freeze, after a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace then logins
>> > work.
>>
>> Do you have configured pulseaudio daemon?
>
> No, I didn't do anything besides setting the options on kdebase-runtime.
>
>> > This may be relevent: I am running Desktop Effects on a nvidia driver?
>> >
>> > If anyone else can confirm this bug I suggest pulseaudio gets removed as
>> > an option.  (Oh, is this FreeBSD specific or a general problem)
>>
>> Option is off by default. Non-pulseaudio users are not affected.
>
> True, very true.  ;-)

I've had some strange issues with PulseAudio as well (with symptoms
that resemble what you've described)  that I haven't had time to track
down.  However, setting PA up as a system-wide instance has worked
around the issue for me and allowed me to keep PA support in KDE42.
As this is not a multi-user workstation, that fix has been fine for
me.

Matt