[kde-freebsd] KDE 4.2 Observations

Dwayne MacKinnon dmk at ncf.ca
Mon Feb 9 17:29:55 CET 2009

Hi all,

Installed 4.2 using Area51 ports last night. Everything built properly
with no difficulties that I could see. A few observations: (I'm running
7.1-RELEASE i386).

1) The kdemerge script (Tools/scripts/kdemerge) has the unfortunate
side-effect of wiping out all other files in Tools/scripts. I understand
how this happens, as this is the same functionality that removes stale
patches.

2) kmail is acting strangely. When I launch it it quickly ramps up to take
over 90% of one of my CPUs, and it takes a long time (on the order of
minutes) for the window to appear. I looked in .xsession-errors, and
found these messages:

<unknown program name>(40941)/: Communication problem with
"kmail" , it probably crashed.
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not
receive areply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not
send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the
reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." "

This message appeared every time I would try to start kmail.

3) I've come up with a reliable way to crash plasma:

	a) Start kopete with a MSN session.
	b) Allow a pop-up to appear from the kopete system tray icon.
	   (This happens if you receive a message while a window
	   OTHER than the kopete window has the focus.)
	c) Click on the pop-up.

Anyways, that's all I've seen so far. I'll report other things as I notice
them. I will say that Konqueror's stability is greatly improved in 4.2,
which makes me happy. And the fact that MSN works again in Kopete
is great.

Cheers,
DMK