[kde-freebsd] KDE4.2 Test Report

Michael Krauss hippodriver at gmx.net
Sat Feb 7 15:10:06 CET 2009

Hello KDE porters,

I installed KDE 4.2 from area51 on FreeBSD 7-STABLE AMD64 using a 945GM
intel graphics adapter. I have built x11/kde4 without any
complications. Just the download mirrors were damn slow (~15kB/s).

After 3 hours testing, plasma seems to be stable: no crashes, no messed
up panel. That's a real improvement compared to 4.0 or 4.1.

The sound output works out of the box, so does the volume control in
the plasma panel.

I run kwin without desktop effects. It is not possible to activate them
at the moment. I have to look more closely into this issue later.

The Desktop is quite reactive. It's at least as quick as KDE3.

Dolphin, Konqueror, Okular and Gwenview work as expected.

All the games look so great. I can't stop playing ;-)

There are only two thing I am missing: Amarok 2.0 and a Qt4 version of
Opera.

Kind regards,
Michael Krauss