[kde-freebsd] Call for Testing KDE 4.2 for FreeBSD

Max Brazhnikov makc at issp.ac.ru
Tue Feb 3 14:05:19 CET 2009

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 08:31:10 +0200, David Naylor wrote:
> On Monday 02 February 2009 12:01:10 David Naylor wrote:
> > On Sunday 01 February 2009 23:02:28 Martin Wilke wrote:
> > > Howdy Guys,
> > >
> > > The KDE FreeBSD team is happy to announce the first public
> > > Call for Testing for KDE 4.2. Over the past weeks we have
> > > focused on the complex and very time consuming task to get
> > > KDE 4.2 running.
> > >
> > > Please read UPDATING-area51 before you start your update.
> > >
> > > To get KDE 4.2:
> > >    try
> > >       svn co https://kf.athame.co.uk/kde-freebsd/trunk/area51/
> > > /path/to/area51
> > >
> > >     More info here:
> > >       https://kf.athame.co.uk/access.php
> > >
> > > - Martin (on behalf of the KDE FreeBSD team)
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'll get started on testing today.  I however have this strange desire to
> > use USB2 (the new USB stack introduced to FreeBSD-Current).
>
> Just finished compiling on FreeBSD 7.1 and have found the following
> problems: 1. The fonts are not being anti-aliased?  (Using default fonts
> and "Use anti-aliasing: Enabled {with sub-pixel rendering [RGB]}).
man fonts-conf? Never had problems with fonts, can't help here :(

>  2. Network Settings doesn't detect anything to do with FreeBSD (it
> probably still needs to be told about FreeBSD).
This part surely requires someone who can add support for FreeBSD.
Btw, kde at freebsd team are seeking for developers who would like to improve
KDE4 support for FreeBSD.

>  3. ksudo does not install?
${KDE$_PREFIX}/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu
Ask kde devs why kdesu is there.

>  4. Samba config module doesn't find smb.conf by default.  It should look
> in multiple places?
This could be fixed easily I believe.

>  5. When I was changing desktop effects X froze. It was a once off thing...
>
> Items 1,2, 4, (5) probably qualify for a PR, can anyone confirm these?
>
> Item 3 probably has something to do with our ports.  I really prefer to use
> (k)sudo (since ksu doesn't like root without a password).  Item 4 should be
> fixed with a patch (until upstream comes with a proper solution).
>
> If you wait a few hours I'll see what I can do about providing patches for
> items 3, 4.
Welcome!

> > Is KDE4 happy with USB2 (or to be more precise, is hald happy with USB2
> > yet)?
>
> I'll try compile hald with USB2.  If that doesn't work (i.e. starts taking
> 100% CPU on a core) then I will not persue the issue.  I'm not sure ports
> has been converted to handle the base system's libusb20 in -current?
>
> Oh and I am still having problems with HTTPS and proxy.  I am going to try
> put up a Squid proxy and see if Squid behaves better then WinGate.  And I
> am hoping Qt 4.5 will fix this proxy/socks problem (if it will hurry up and
> get released :-)).
>
> Everything else is looking good :-) and working on the FreeBSD side.
>
> Thanks
>
> David
>
> P.S. Any hope in getting Amarok 2 into ports with KDE 4.2.  Last I saw it
> was pending on a PR to fix mysql_embedded?
I'll ping Alex about the status of mysql_embedded. Meantime you can try
ports/128757 for mysql_embedded and ports/130634 for amarok port.

Max.