[kde-freebsd] Call for Testing KDE 4.2 for FreeBSD

David Johnson djohnson at ics.com
Mon Feb 2 20:37:52 CET 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009 08:53:06 am Freddie Cash wrote:
> > * I am getting the "vista-effect" as my older 2.8Gz P4 / Radeon 9000
> > aren't up to the task of KDE4. I have desktop effects turned off. I've
> > heard some rumours that Qt 4.5 may improve things, but I really do need
> > to get a new computer. The days of refurbishing older hardware by
> > installing *Nix may be drawing to an end...
> You definitely should not be getting a "vista-effect" with that hardware.
> I also have a P4 2.8 GHz CPU, but with crappy onboard Intel i915 graphics
> (8 MB shared RAM), and 2 GB of RAM; and I don't have any noticeable
> slowdown in the GUI.

I may have a bad configurations somewhere. I've pored over all of the desktop
tuning pages I could find, and It helped a little bit, but not nearly enough.

> The only time things are slow is when I try to load multiple apps at once,
> and the harddrive grinds away.  Once apps are loaded, things are smooth and
> quick, and the desktop is always smooth and quick.

As a long time user of Unix systems, I naturally expect the ability to run
multiple apps at the same time under heavy load. Have those days disappeared?

> > * The main menu is very slow, whether it's kickoff or classic. Opening up
> > a submenu may take ten to fifteen seconds, with some noticeable disk
> > activity. Very annoying.
> That's not right.  Something strange is going on, but not sure where to
> even begin diagnosing something like that.

I looked at this code recently, and recall that it built the menus on the fly.
I'll have to look again to see how it's doing it.

David Johnson