[kde-freebsd] Call for Testing KDE 4.2 for FreeBSD

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Mon Feb 2 08:03:44 CET 2009

> The KDE FreeBSD team is happy to announce the first public
> Call for Testing for KDE 4.2. Over the past weeks we have
> focused on the complex and very time consuming task to get
> KDE 4.2 running.

Here are some random notes of mine. Some are tips, some are problems, some
are just observations.

* I am getting the "vista-effect" as my older 2.8Gz P4 / Radeon 9000
aren't up to the task of KDE4. I have desktop effects turned off. I've
heard some rumours that Qt 4.5 may improve things, but I really do need to
get a new computer. The days of refurbishing older hardware by installing
*Nix may be drawing to an end...

* Any hints or tips on "slimming down" KDE?

* The default font was "sans serif", which is not aliased (I'm not sure
what it's aliased to). Changing this to bitstream vera sans solved the
problem.

* I was getting nepomuk cores, so I turned off nepomuk in the Desktop
Search configuration page. This isn't used much in KDE4, so it's safe to
turn off.

* Konsole does not have a title in the title bar, only a ":". This is
configurable in the Tabs Titles page, but it isn't working.

* All my KDE3 apps are showing up in my menus. I've even set
XDG_DATA_DIRS, to no effect. Does anyone know of an easy way to segregate
them out into their own menu?

* The main menu is very slow, whether it's kickoff or classic. Opening up
a submenu may take ten to fifteen seconds, with some noticeable disk
activity. Very annoying.

* Setting the folderview as a desktop activity crashes plasma. Using a
normal folderview is okay.

--
David Johnson