[kde-freebsd] Screen goes black after logout

Steven Friedrich freebsd at insightbb.com
Sat Dec 26 17:01:32 CET 2009

I'm using kdm on KDE 4.3.4 and FreeBSD 8-Stable.

On my mom's computer, when she logs out, the kdm login screen appears, but
then the screen goes black. I am able to log in again by blindly entering her
password again, and then I can shutdown instead of logging out.

Her machine has a Matrox G550.

My laptop, which has an ATI something or other, DOESN'T exhibit this anomaly.

On each machine, the default resolution is 1280 or higher (the laptop is
1440x900, her machine is 1280x1024).

On each machine I have used KDE System Settings to set the resolution to
800x600.  She needs that on her machine due to eyesight. She's 76 yrs old and
far-sighted.

So I believe this anomaly is a bug in the xorg video driver for the Matrox.

I'd like the community to try this on their machines so we can ascertain which
video drivers suffer this malady.

Her machine was updated to the latest -stable and ports just yesterday.