[kde-freebsd] Phonon problems with KDE 4.4

Alberto Villa villa.alberto at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 11:03:54 CET 2009

taken from kde-packager

On 12/3/09, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> * If you compile Qt without any backend atconfig will loose the ability to
>   configure the output devices. (even if you install the gstreamer backend)

i'm not sure i understand... do we suffer from this?

> * The GStreamer backend (the only one shipped with Qt btw.) is not the best
>   choice from a usability pov. Users have difficulties to decide which of the
>   gstreamer plugins they need to play a certain file. And I have read of
>   several problems with Amarok; Kaffeine DVB playback does not work at all
>   etc.. Some of the plugins also have quite heavy dependencies to Gnome
>   libraries.
> * Choosing the xine backend (there are no released sources btw.) increases
>   usability as it plays nearly any file ootb.The downside is that HTML5
> video
>   playback does not work in webkit when using the xine backend.
>
> Even if you don't care about the dependency and resource overhead and just
> install both plugins users would have to switch their backends manually in
> systemsettings depending on which phonon app they are about to use.

ok, take this as a premise for the next part

> PS: Did you notice that even in Qt 4.6 you have to patch the gstreamer
> backend
> to make it work with KDE? (the patch is lend from Fedora:
> http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/qt/trunk/phonon.patch) It's no big
> deal but just underlines the problem as KDE does not work with a vanilla Qt.

quite easy to import this patch... but we shouldn't, obviously, make a
qt plugin install kde files by default... should we add an OPTION to
let the user choose, or add a multimedia/phonon-gstreamer port which
just installs dbus interface and service files?
or, again, should we keep it the way it is?

i vote for the OPTION
--
Alberto Villa <villa.alberto at gmail.com>