[kde-freebsd] KDE 4.3 First Test Results

Hannes list_kde-freebsd at soulrebel.in-berlin.de
Mon Aug 17 23:43:17 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

sorry I didn't participate in the CFT, but maybe my notes will help
anyway (or you can help me ;) )!

1) Thanks for the very quick release! I remember the old days where
FreeBSD could be weeks behind, now FreeBSD is more uptodate than most
Linux-Distros :)

2) The release seems very polished, a lot of little things and bugfixes
really make it feel good!

The issues I encountered (note that I used packages where available):

1) Many settings got lost on upgrade, and some are broken. I had this
with previous releases as well. E.g. in some apps settings for custom
toolbar are not applied (they show correctly in the config-dialog but
the defaults are shown in the app). Also no way to change these settings
(the app always show default setup). Only way to "reset" this is to
delete config-files which I rather would not.

2) The Widget used in SystemSettings and for all config-dialogs
(compareable to tab-view) has no icons.

I have attaches to screenshots, showing the problems.

3) No video with phonon. I already replaced the Qt-Phonon with KDE-
Phonon and installed the xine-plugin which is detected correctly. Sound
works, but video doesnt. Dragon-Player just shows busy cursor when
trying to play a video. HTML5-Sound in Arora works, though which is
already pretty cool.

4) Kmail-performance seems even worse than before: slow scrolling, slow
This was similar before...

Thanks for your help and your work. Please don't see my reporting these
issues as complaining, I thankful for all the time you put into kde-
freebsd!

Regards,
Hannes