[kde-freebsd] Thoughts on KDE 4.3

Dwayne MacKinnon dmk at ncf.ca
Tue Aug 11 19:51:25 CEST 2009

Hi all,

Huge thanks to the kde-freebsd team for all their work; 4.3
looks like a real winner to me.

1) Auto-detect of desktop effects is working properly for me
again. No need to hack config files to force the effects on. Very
nice.

2) Although I've gotten used to one wallpaper for all desktops,
the option to have multiple ones again is nice. It would take a
little effort to configure all the activities the way I want them, but
the option is nice.

3) Is it just me, or are some parts of this thing snappier? The
kmenu especially.

4) While some parts are snappier, others are worse. I set up a
keyboard shortcut with kwin to walk through desktops. If it calls
up the desktop list, things can almost freeze up.

5) Still no strigi service, but I believe that's a known issue, right?

6) Although I have qt-phonon-gst installed, the only backend
that shows up in the Multimedia control module is xine. I don't
mind that... everything works properly. Just thought I'd mention
that the gstreamer backend doesn't show up.

Again, a huge thank you to the kde-freebsd team.

Cheers,
DMK