[kde-freebsd] qdbus and knotify

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.kde at mailing.thruhere.net
Sun Aug 9 02:03:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

I used to be able to use dcop to send arbitrary notifications. Now I'm forced
to use dbus, yet I have no way that I'm aware of to send QByteArrays or
QVariantList through using sh or php. In other words, the dbus interface is
not so useful:
method int org.kde.KNotify.event(QString event, QString fromApp, QVariantList
contexts, QString text, QByteArray pixmap, QStringList actions, qlonglong
winId)

Did anyone here figure out yet, how to use this? I searched google but only
seen posts with the same frustration, no solutions other then using python's
dbus methods, which I'm trying to avoid.

I could use kdialog but the problem is that I can't specify specific sounds
for specific passive dialogs. In fact, the above method doesn't show me where
to put the sound file either.

I basically need the equivalent of:
dcop knotify Notify notify notify Me "Hello World" hello.ogg nofile 3 0;
--
Mel