[kde-freebsd] editors/koffice-kde3 is missing liblcms.la

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 16:47:12 CEST 2009

> On Tuesday 14 April 2009, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:00:19 +0400
> >
> > Max Brazhnikov <makc at freebsd.org> mentioned:
> > > koffice (and most if not all of kde3 ports) uses both shared and static
> > > libraries. And it seems kde3 is not supposed to build without static
> > > libs, so I think lcms should be reverted.
> >
> > Then it is clearly a bug in kde build system and should be fixed there and
> > submitted upstream. Furthermore, it is a security maintaince problem.
> KDE doesn't need static library, and don't use static library when a dynamic
> library is available. And .la isn't a static library, but a libtool archive
> which is needed by libtool to properly link. In KDE4/KOffice2, libtool isn't
> used and therfore the problem has been "fixed", but for KDE3/KOffice 1.x, the
> only solution is to use the liblcms.la file (which in itself doesn't cause a
> security maitenance).
>
> --
> Cyrille Berger

I can confirm that reverting the change that disables the install of
liblcms.a and liblcms.la and rebuilding the graphics/lcms port allows
editors/koffice-kde3 to install.

ldd on PREFIX/lib/kde3/libkritagmagick{export,import}.so shows that
editors/koffice-kde3 is using the shared liblcms.so.1 library.

I have submitted PR 133856.  The patch uses --enable-static=no to
disable the install of the static library, and removes the change from
the ports Makefile that disabled the install of the static library and
liblcms.la file.

Scot