[kde-freebsd] Qt 4.5 and GNU iconv

David Johnson djohnson at ics.com
Thu Apr 2 21:10:04 CEST 2009

On Thursday 02 April 2009 07:00:38 am David Naylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get Qt4.5 to behave properly with libiconv and it just
> doesn't.  My best understanding is that, under linux, glibc provides all
> the iconv functionality and that, somehow, libiconv and glibc differ in
> their implementation and thus it breaks Qt (or Qt handles them
> differently).

So which one is implemented incorrectly, libiconv or glibc? If Qt assumes
glibc, which almost by definition means Linux only, then a bug should be filed
with Nokia to turn off iconv support for all non-Linux systems.

I configure Qt with --no-iconv for exactly this reason.

> I cannot find anyone who has tried to compile Qt without glibc under linux
> (or if Gentoo has managed to get Qt working under their version of
> FreeBSD).
>
> I don't know if, or by how much, libiconv and glibc differ, perhaps
> converters/iconv would work better than libiconv in replacing glibc?
>
> Does anyone know why Qt is failing to behave with libiconv?

Dunno. I did spend some time looking at the source code, but didn't find
anything noteworthy.

Do we need iconv support? It seems that Qt is using it as a source of codecs
rather than using its own. Are the Qt's supplied codecs sufficient that we
don't need iconv?

--
David Johnson