[kde-freebsd] Trouble

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Sep 29 15:40:01 CEST 2008

Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Sunday 28 September 2008, Ray Madigan wrote:
>> I must have something wrong with my installation and I don't know if it is
>> KDE or not, it is that several aspects of the KDE userinterface don't save
>> the results from manipulations of the UI.
>>
>> 1)  KUser doesn't save the information correctly about a newly created
>> user. When I relaunch the UI after I create a new user it doesn't show the
>> newly created user.  When I try to readd it it tells me it is already
>> there, and when I attempt to login with the new user I get Login invalid.
>>
>> 2)  Network configuration.  Does not save the information.  When I attempt
>> to launch the Network Settings UI from the Setings application it never
>> remembers if it is DHCP or not and it doesn't remember the gateway or the
>> DNS settings.
>
> Hi Ray,
>
> You don't mention if this is KDE3 or KDE4 you're talking about.
>
> The system administration tools in KDE have always been rather Linux-oriented,
> and I wouldn't bet on any of the maintainers -- either of the FreeBSD ports
> or upstream in KDE itself -- actively working on them. Maybe Kris Moore &
> PC-BSD are doing something in that field, since that's a FreeBSD system with
> a really-well-integrated KDE desktop, as opposed to the more
> straight-from-the-upstream-source KDE that you get from FreeBSD ports.

We looked at those apps at one point, but decided instead to just write
our own user manager / networking setup GUI's. If you grab a copy of
PC-BSD 7, it has KDE 4.1.1 in it, with all of our nice user / networking
tools, and then you can hack away at the ports if you like :)

--

Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software