[kde-freebsd] KDE 4.1 slowdowns

Matt datahead4 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 20:33:25 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com> wrote:

> Has anybody else noticed weird slowdowns in KDE 4.1?

Things have been running quite well for me in 4.1 since I added the
QT_NO_GLIB env variable that was mentioned on the list a week or so
ago.  Kwin has behaved very nicely since then.

The only slowness I've experienced since adding QT_NO_GLIB has been
related to Konsole.  Everything else is pretty smooth, but Konsole
(everything from starting it up to resizing the window) is horribly
slow and choppy both with and without the desktop effects enabled.

I'm running 7-STABLE from 8/19 and all my packages were built in a
local tinderbox.

> Several of our users are reporting it, and I've seen it here as well. It
> seems like sometimes KDE will just take a LONG time to start processes,
> or startf programs. "top" doesn't show anything using CPU, so I know the
> systems aren't busy.

I haven't noticed any pauses but there does seem to be something wrong
with my kwallet manager from time to time.  If a program is restored
from a previous session upon login and that program wants access to
the wallet, I tend to lose all keyboard input and most mouse-click
access while the kwallet password dialog is up.  The only way to
regain keyboard and mouse functionality it to close the wallet dialog
with the actual close button on the window - the cancel button is not
operable.