[kde-freebsd] [HEADS UP] QT4.4 RC and KDE4.1 Alpha

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Fri May 2 23:38:58 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 11:33:40 Martin Wilke wrote:
> [HEADS UP] QT4.4 RC and KDE4.1 Alpha
>
> Howdy All,
>
> Next week I plan to update QT4 to 4.4-RC and KDE4 to 4.1 Alpha.
>
> Why ?
> It's simple we have a long open Bug list on FreeBSD, I/We want
> to make sure we can fix most with the 4.1 Final Release.
> (Without wild hacking and patches). But before we can do this
> we need to clarify the PREFIX situation with KDE3. The questions
> is now how is the Status from KDE3 (3.5.9 should go to ports)
> (lofi?). How do we finally handle the PREFIX for KDE4?

The way the ports are now, it pretty much must be ${LOCALBASE}/kde4 with it's
own bin, lib, etc. Trying to put both kde3 and kde4 in ${LOCALBASE} "on equal
terms" is just not going to work IMHO, not without an army of clones that do
all the work that the kde people never wanted to do themselves (and for good
reasons), like suffixing any and all conflicting binary with 4, .so version
numbers, etc. It's just too much to ask I think.

I wouldn't worry much about prefix-safe, something as big as kde is never
going to be completely prefix-safe (I dont think kde3 is either).

One great plus of having such an "/opt-like" special prefix is that it should
be quite painless to eventually toss away qt3/kde3 and all their 3rd part
apps and put all the foo4 stuff into place.

Of course, there may be extra complications I missed in the above.

Cheers,

Dan