[kde-freebsd] [HEADS UP] QT4.4 RC and KDE4.1 Alpha

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Fri May 2 23:12:43 CEST 2008

Hi folks,

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 17:02:47 Thomas Abthorpe wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 April 2008 05:33:40 Martin Wilke wrote:
> > And another problem (not really serious but should be discussed)
> > is that I want to rename some ports:
> >
> >  kdepimlibs ->          kdepimlibs4
> >  kdebase-runtime ->     kdebase4-runtime
> >  kdebase-workspace ->   kdebase4-workspace
> >  kdenetwork     ->      kdenetwork4
> >  kdeartwork     ->      kdeartwork4
> >  kdeadmin       ->      kdeadmin4
> >  kdeutils       ->      kdeutils4
> >  kdemultimedia  ->      kdemultimedia4
> >  kdeedu         ->      kdeedu4
> >  kdetoys        ->      kdetoys4
> >  kdegraphics    ->      kdegraphics4
> >  kdesdk         ->      kdesdk4
> >  kdewebdev      ->      kdewebdev4
> >  kdegames       ->      kdegames4
> >
> > The rename makes more sense for the future with KDE5.
> > (Hopefully not in the next 5 years)
> > Does anyone have anything against it?
>
> I'm with Miwi on this one, I would like to see the respective kde ports
> postfixed with the major rev number, it is waaaaa-aaaay less confusing, and
> as he says, poises us well for the future with kde5 et al.
>

> Thomas

I agree too, it's the lesser evil. The same question is coming with 3rd party
apps:

I've been looking a little bit at kmplayer and gtk-qt-engine for kde4, and
there too I pretty much already reached the conclusion that there will be no
other option than to start calling them kmplayer4 etc, if they are to coexist
with their kde3 older versions for a significant time (and let's not kid
ourselves, we're still looking at ~ a year in that respect).

I'm afraid that later on at one point in time (when qt3/kde3 go EOL in ports)
we're probably going to have the repocopy fest of the decade, because then
probably everyone and their sister are going to want to rename the foo4 back
to just foo. I think something like this is going to be unavoidable (it could
be nicely synch'd with the start of a ports freeze as the time to do the
repofest arrives).

What are people's thoughts about this, 3rd party apps/libs that will have to
coexist in different versions for kde3/4 for (quite) a while? It may be a
good time now to establish some guidelines for porters.

Cheers,

Dan