[kde-freebsd] hal-0.5.11.r2_4 does not play nice with /usr/sbin/moused

Dwayne MacKinnon dmk at ncf.ca
Fri Mar 28 15:03:23 CET 2008

Hi folks,

After upgrading to hal-0.5.11.r2_4 (which was committed as part of the recent
Gnome upgrade) my xwindows experience started behaving very oddly. If I
clicked a titlebar to move a window, it would shutter. I would type in a
konsole (I use KDE 3.5.8) and the type wouldn't appear until I moved the
mouse.

With some googling, I found some people having problems with HAL hotplugging
and xorg. I found myself wondering if the problem might be HAL's interaction
with xorg and my mouse. Through experimentation I found that if I killed the
moused, and then started x, the problem vanished.

Anyways, not sure if this is worth raising a PR about, but I wanted the
two "big" desktop communities to know. A note in /usr/ports/UPDATING might be
prudent.

Cheers,
Dwayne MacKinnon
--
I can't afford to make any exceptions. Once word leaks out that a pirate has
gone soft people start to disobey him and it's nothing but work, work, work