[kde-freebsd] Free-BSD large FAT-Partitions with HAL in 6.3 and 7.0

peter weismann pit at weispit.eu
Thu Mar 13 21:17:38 CET 2008

Since kernel option MSDOSFS_LARGE is no longer available in Free-BSD
6.3 and 7.0 automatic mount through HALD (in my case on USB-
changeable media) is not working anymore.

I had this small conversation below with Joe Marcus Clarke
<marcus at freebsd.org>, who stated to add the mount_msdosfs option -o
large in HAL, but I did that already and it did not work in KDE.
Joe mentioned, that KDE must have a volume manager, that must be
taught what mount options are needed, like gnome would have.
I am low level Unix-User.
As far as I understand this, KIO and KIOSLAVE take care for this
subject in KDE, but I did not see any chance to configure and allow
the mount with the option -o large, that HAL now sends.

I hope you can understand what I mean and am looking forward for some
help.