[kde-freebsd] Kde4 slowness (a step forward?)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Sat Jun 28 19:34:25 CEST 2008

Deigo wrote:
> Dealing with (wonderful) dtrace I discovered a lot of errors caused by
> hald-addon-mouse-sysmouse.
> Following instructions at point 2 in this page
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html I disabled the mouse
> probe and kde4 speeds up.
> Could someone tests this workaround?
>
> That's the content of MY
> /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thirdparty/10-mouse-sysmouse.fdi
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>   <device>
>     <match key="freebsd.driver" string="ums">
>       <match key="freebsd.unit" int="0">
>         <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
>       </match>
>     </match>
>   </device>
> </deviceinfo>
>
> Regards

I've tested this here, and it does seem to fix some weird KDE issues on
my test system. I'd been having problems with KDE needing to be
restarted every few hours, because apps would fail to open / open
slowly, or even the keyboard "locking" up on me. So far those things
haven't occurred again with this on my system. I'll keep playing with
it, I've only been using this file for a day or so, and it may just be
luck why I've not run into the old problems again.

--

Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software