[kde-freebsd] [KDE / QT FreeBSD users] CALL FOR HELPERS: Please contribute to the project! Thanks!

Sticky Bit stickybit at gmx.net
Thu Jun 19 18:56:46 CEST 2008

On Thursday 19 June 2008 17:37:01 Ernst W. Winter wrote:
> Well I just installed ver. 7 on a external HD with zfs to try
> that out and see, and I don't have any GUI yet and would like to
> test the new one out as I can send you what is not and how
> working.

Great! Your help is very appreciated! Thank you!

> If you can give me instructions on how to set it up as I have no
> problem to use a ports tree and do a "make install clean" with
> all poets.

Fine! You can use your favorite ports management tools.

I usually do something like this:

1. You really should make backups (e. g. with dump, see handbook). Just to be
safe for the worst case. Normally you will not need those but who knows. It
is always wise to have recent backups ... ;-)

2. Create a new user account. This account you use only for test purposes. Use
KDE 4 only with this account. This way you can safely use your existing KDE 3
installation with your usual user account without any changes to your
existing home .kde folder.

3. Choose a partition for the area51 repository checkout. I personally
use /var, but you can use what you want.

4. If you use /var (or use your path here) then

# cd /var

5. This creates a folder area51 into /var with checked out repository.

# cvs -d:ext:anoncvs at orm.arved.priv.at:/home/kde-freebsd co area51

6. If you use /var (or use your path here) then

# mount -t unionfs /var/area51 /usr/ports

You have now area51 repository on top of your existing ports tree. Use your
ports tree now as usual.

7. Install / update QT 4 first.

8. Install KDE 4 ports you want. You can start with /usr/ports/x11/kdebase4

That is all. When you want to use your unmodified original ports tree just

# umount /usr/ports

and everything is like before. Of course do not downgrade / uninstall the new
installed ports and run KDE 4 only with your test user account. ;-)

I hope I did not forget something ... Just ask if you have further questions.

--
Regards,
Sticky Bit <stickybit at gmx.net>