[kde-freebsd] KDE3 in its own subprefix

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 22:25:08 CEST 2008

Hello All,

[[[Skip below to avoid the ranting, for the patch :-> ]]]

Today I have been trying to get KDE3 to live nicely in its own subprefixes
(i.e. bin/kde3, include/kde3, etc).  The major problem lies with kdelibs,
there are a lot of assumptions about where things go.  Luckily once one knows
what to look for the work is relatively easy... The second aspect of the
challenge is getting our ports infrastructure to work, under both scenarios
(explained below).

So far I have Konqueror and Kwrite running (not that other programs not work).
However getting a KDE session working is a very different story.  I think
that once kdelibs is cleaned out of all kde ~/.kde/ problems we should be
almost there :-).  The other problem is getting PATH setup (any hints?).  It
also appears dcop needs to be in a standard path?

My motivation for doing this is that, I think, KDE4 should be our primary and
KDE3 only kept (as long needs be) for backward compatibility.  When KDE4 hits
4.2 I don't forsee any major need for KDE3?  But there will always be some
way KDE3 will be needed.  I really have an itch over hier pollution (and to
my dread there sits jdk16 under local).  Since KDE4 is going to be around
longer than KDE3 I would like KDE4 to be in its proper place and move KDE3 to
the side (KDE3 stepping aside for KDE4, as it where).  Also, this patch
allows KDE3 to be installed normally (and thus will conflict with KDE4) or to
have its own subprefix.

I am all for KDE3 and KDE4 to just conflict with eachother (however I
recognise this is not practical).  Another, and much simpler solution, is to
have KDE3 under its own prefix and move KDE4 to under local (i.e. reverse
there roles) [and have hier pollution].  Of course the problem of moving KDE3
to anywhere but where it is now is that every 3rd party application that uses
KDE3 will need to be recompiled???.  Break now for future ease or just have
future hardship (to a degree).

I understand that policy is not going to change just because one lonesome guy
has some ideas (and if I am making too much noise please tell me to quieten
down) I do hope my work contributes to the kde-freebsd success.

[[[BELOW]]]

Please see attached for the patch.  Skip the pkg-plist files to get to the
juicy parts.

TODO
====
o) It is sometimes desired to install files outside the new hier (i.e. cups
ppd files).  pkg-plist needs to be fixed in this case
o) Some binaries might need to be linked (so as to be in standard search
paths? dcopserver...)
o) kdelibs needs further cleaning
o) a check script for files that have gone astray
o) a host of checks (read grep) for indications of possible problems with
ports (i.e. ~/.kde -> /.kde3 and share -> share/kde3)
o) Find a fix for PATH (please, help!!!)

Although the diff says b1, it really should say a0 (alpha 0).

I checked, there are 409 ports under the kde category.  A lot are KDE distro,
which will drop like dominoes, the rest... Will have to be verified
individually...

Lots of feedback welcome.

Thank you for listening to my mad ravings, hard day ;-)

Regards

David