[kde-freebsd] KDE3 not running

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 10:32:12 CEST 2008

On 04/06/2008, Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 23:13:37 +0200
>  "David Naylor" <naylor.b.david at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Today I tried installing kde3 from area51.  No problems with compiling
>  > however it appears the dynamic library system appears to be broken.
>  >
>  > For example: konqueror complains that a lot of the konq_*.la have not
>  > been found.  (I have checked and they are installed, under
>  > /usr/local/lib/kde3/kde3) [konq_iconview.la for a specific item, from
>  > memory]
>

> I'd guess the problem is that extra '/kde3'.

You are right.  KDE3 was never designed to have libs stored in any
other place than ${PREFIX}/lib, and us such does not handle the
configure option --libdir=.  From what I can see it is only kdelibs
that this actually worries (unless some evil port breaks things, but
nothing within kde itself).

As it happends, there is actually a very easy and simple hack to make it work:
After configuring kdelib3, change KDELIBSUFF in config.h to:
#define KDELIBSUFF "/kde3"

I can send in a patch when my machine has finished its build cycle and
I have been able to confirm this works with most of KDE.

David