[kde-freebsd] KDE3 not running

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 23:13:37 CEST 2008

Hi,

Today I tried installing kde3 from area51.  No problems with compiling
however it appears the dynamic library system appears to be broken.

For example: konqueror complains that a lot of the konq_*.la have not
been found.  (I have checked and they are installed, under
/usr/local/lib/kde3/kde3) [konq_iconview.la for a specific item, from
memory]

Another thing I have noticed is that kdm does not work.  The script
appears to be looking for kde4, since it was installed with kde3 I am
not sure what is going on.  I think a good solution would be for it to
check for both kdm's and favor the kde4/kdm?

Are there any automated (regression) checks that I can execute?  If
you need further details please let me know (or any clues on how to
solved this).

Regards

David

P.S. Is it desired, at some stage, to split up the kde4 ports, as
openSUSE has done.  Of course to have the relevant meta ports [so
nothing changes except extra fine tuning available] (i.e. kdebase into
kdebase-kwrite, kdebase-konqueror, etc)
P.P.S. Are we going to follow the gnome route and have kdm start as an
rc.d script?