[kde-freebsd] Build problems

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Mon Jul 7 08:26:48 CEST 2008

On Sunday 06 July 2008 05:02:37 pm David Johnson wrote:
> I'm still getting problems with some apps trying to link to KDE3 libraries.
> So far these include kfind, kdialog, kmenuedit and khotnewstuff. I have
> joined the kde-buildsystem mailing list and sent them a help request.
> Hopefully they will have a solution.

I've been told that as a long term solution we must remove KDE3
from /usr/local and put it into its own private hierarchy. Is that something
we want to tackle in the short term?

In the meantime we can make a bunch of patches to get stuff to build if the
user has KDE3 installed. The problem is in the way cmake generates lists of
libraries to link to. I haven't been able to figure out what it is doing, but
we can work around it by explicitly specifying library dependencies. For
example, kfind has this line:

target_link_libraries(kfind  ${KDE4_KDE3SUPPORT_LIBS} )

which generates:

-L/usr/local/lib/qt4 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/kde4/lib

...but changing that to...

target_link_libraries(kfind ${KDE4_KDEUI_LIBS}  ${KDE4_KDE3SUPPORT_LIBS} )

... will generate:

-L/usr/local/lib/qt4 -L/usr/local/kde4/lib -L/usr/local/lib

I just wish I knew what cmake was doing. It all seems very arbitrary to me.

--
David Johnson