[kde-freebsd] KDE4 is out, I'm back, let's get cracking

David Naylor blackdragon at highveldmail.co.za
Wed Jan 16 21:33:20 CET 2008

On 15/01/2008, Michael Nottebrock <lofi at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Monday, 14. January 2008, David Naylor wrote:
>
> That sounds like we might get away without moving existing ports to a
> different prefix after all. Good news! I have added a patch to the Qt4 ports
> which eliminates the /usr/local/include path from the pkg-config files they
> install, no idea if that will help with KDE4 but perhaps it might.
Did Qt4 ever place header files in include/?  If they did and you've
moved them out then that helps a lot.  The problem is that the cmake
scripts include include/ it however it is trivial to remove it.  I'll
post a patch that will get kdelibs to compile with kde3 and qt3
installed, if it is not done by Sunday please pester me until it is
done.

> kdm executes .Xsesssion when the session type is 'Custom'. If you want
Thanks, done

> Also, default prefix moves are always a horrible experience for users - just
> remember the big X11 move not so long ago. Thus I would very much like to
> find one location for KDE4 now and then stick with it forever.
I personally prefer not to have ports in their own prefixes when they
can fit into the default (local/).  This can cause problems with path
resolution.  Relocation at a later date will not work so well if KDE3
will survive for a long time and co-exist with KDE4, so I think your
choice is correct (and KDE4 could be moved back into local if needs
be, once kde3 is dropped)

One issue is with kde apps with the same name, if they are not
referred to by full paths, which one gets preference.  Depends, I
think, which is the default desktop, 3 or 4.  This could be setup
using rc.d/ scripts with PATH being set to give priority to either
local/ or kde4prefix/?  (And get kdm running using them as well?)

> Also, default prefix moves are always a horrible experience for users - just
> remember the big X11 move not so long ago. Thus I would very much like to
> find one location for KDE4 now and then stick with it forever.
I found it made life easier (but I wasn't involved in the porting effort!)

> You could put them (or links to them) on the wiki:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/KDE4. Account creation is open to everyone, but I
> think arved@ would need to give you write access to the page first (I'd like
> write access as well btw, account is MichaelNottebrock :).
I'll send in a request this weekend (for you as well).  I've saved two
back traces for crashed apps.  Strange there is qt_m.so.3 is in them?
I've post another e-mail titles 'Qt4 crashed by Qt3 libs!', it will
provide some details.

> Does out-of-source build mean builddir!=sourcedir?
Yes, and kdelibs (possibly every other kde package) demands
out-of-source builds.  It can be disabled but I'm not sure if a build
would then work?  I just do:
mkdir $BUILDSRC/build
(cd $BUILDSRC/build; cmake ../; make)
to get it to compile (with all variables set for cmake)

> At the moment it is vaporware(?), but I agree we should have one in place at
> least once kdelibs and kdebase are in good shape.
I could create a bsd.cmake.mk this weekend if it is urgently required
(it will be my first such file...)?

Thank you for your reply

David