[kde-freebsd] Cmake problem with ccache

Max Brazhnikov makc at issp.ac.ru
Sat Aug 23 12:19:56 CEST 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 01:48:49 +0200, Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> Dear KDE team,
>
> I've just found out that cmake doesn't work when ccache is enabled.

No, it does work, just set

CC=/usr/local/libexec/ccache/cc
(where /usr/local/libexec/ccache/cc is a link to you compiler)

or use the way recommended in share/doc/ccache/ccache-howto-freebsd.txt:
setenv  PATH    /usr/local/libexec/ccache:$PATH
setenv  CCACHE_PATH     /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

The only case when cmake refuses to work with ccache is when CC is set to
something like this:
CC=ccache cc
But this may be fixed in future (if not fixed already)

> The following reasoning is just a conjecture, as I have no deep
> understanding of cmake.
>
> Cmake looks for binutils' binaries in the same path where it finds the
> compiler, which is /usr/local/libexec/ccache/ when ccache is on.
>
> Have a look at lines 31-50 of the file in cmake's ${WRKSRC}:
> Modules/CMakeFindBinUtils.cmake
>
> The binutils binaries ar, ranlib, strip, ld, nm, objdump and objcopy are
> looked for in _CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_PREFIX, thus not found when the latter is
> set to /usr/local/libexec/ccache

You don't need to define _CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_PREFIX. I believe this is the cause
of your problem.

> What about patching CMakeFindBinUtils.cmake to make it look for binutils
> in /usr/bin/ by default?
>
> I've seen this:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2008-June/049090.html
> but couldn't find a solution there.