[kde-freebsd] dual head under kde4

Marc G. Fournier freebsd at hub.org
Thu Aug 14 02:55:04 CEST 2008

- --On Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:09:30 -0400 Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com>
wrote:

> I've used dual-head with KDE4 here a bit, and it seems to work fine with the
> NVidia TwinView configuration. Whats different is that you have to manually
> go to the new screen, and setup your desktop wallpaper there, along with any
> widgets you want to place. It looks like the panel isn't able to stretch
> across both screens anymore, although you can always add a 2nd panel on the
> new screen, and add widgets to it.

Hrmmm ... I just tried restarting X with xinermira(sp?) support enabled, and
get odd results as my monitors are two different sizes ... under KDE3, there
was a way of starting up a second WM / desktop on Screen 2, vs Screen 1 .. I
couldn' tmove windows between monitors, but could cut-n-paste between monitors,
and start applications on each ... but they were totally independent otherwise

Is that functionality gone with KDE4?  I'd hate to have to downgrade back to
KDE3 :(

My nVidia card is: nvidia0: <GeForce 7900 GS> on vgapci0 ... and I'm using the
nvidia kernel module ...

My X config file looks like, in case this is an X related issue:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"XFree86 Configured"
	Screen		"Screen0"
	Screen		"Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
	InputDevice	"Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice	"Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"

#	Option "xinerama" "on"
#	Option "clone" "off"
EndSection

Section "Files"
	RgbPath      "/usr/local/lib/X11/rgb"
	ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "glx"