[kde-freebsd] Eject problem in KDE4

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Aug 11 17:47:34 CEST 2008

Andy Fawcett wrote:
> On Friday 08 August 2008 16:52:09 Kris Moore wrote:
>> Several of our testers have reported an interesting problem we've
>> seen in KDE4 here, and I wanted to run it by you guys to see if
>> anybody had any answers. The problem is that when you mount a CD via
>> Dolphin / KDE, and then try to eject it, the eject / unmount never
>> takes place. Instead this HAL error shows up at the bottom of
>> dolphin:
>>
>> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: Error while get
>> volume.ignore
>>
>> Do you guys see this behavior as well?
>
> It's a hald/policykitd problem. I've not got to the bottom of it yet,
> but you need to make sure the user has permissions to mount/eject in
> hal, and also that the device is marked as "not ignore".
>
> Might be worth checking the hal FAQ (see the fbsd/gnome website)

I've done some further investigation into this, and I'm more convinced
that its a KDE4 / Dolphin problem. I can easily mount / unmount any
fixed media, or even USB flash drives which are external. My HAL config
is the same as it was for KDE 3.5, and that worked perfectly with user
unmounting / ejecting.

Whats strange is that if you try to eject by right-clicking on the entry
in dolphin, you get this error:

org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: Error while get
volume.ignore

and nothing is unmounted or ejected.

However, if you then go to the kickoff menu, Computer -> Removable
Storage, then right-click on the CD and choose eject, it does unmount
the media properly, but it doesn't eject. So, it is getting farther,
past the initial error in Dolphin anyway.

--

Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software