[kde-freebsd] FreeBSD Port: kde

Vincent vince.kde at crel.us
Sun Apr 20 04:15:06 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 09:55:40PM +0200, Martin Wilke wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 12:48:44PM -0700, David Johnson wrote:
> > On Saturday 19 April 2008, Vincent wrote:
> > > That is what I thought also, but I guess that is changing or has changed
> > > in the FreeBSD camp.  I recently posted a problem in this list trying to
> > > compile KDE4 on Dragonfly BSD, which is also a FreeBSD branch.  The only
> > > response I got was
> > >
> > >     "We don't support DF here."
> >
> > Whereas PC-BSD is really FreeBSD underneath, Dragonfly BSD is not. It is a
> > separate OS, with a different kernel and libc. The differences in libc could
> > be causing the breakage in iconv.

That is possible.  In the future, I will go to the kde-nonlinux list.

This originally seemed like the most appropriate list since Dragonfly
seems to maintain a high level of API and sys admin compatibility with
FreeBSD.  Most of the time, for projects with configure scripts that do
not recognize Dragonfly, I can create a uname wrapper that reports
FreeBSD to trick the configure script and they compile fine.

If it ends up being a library compatibility issue, then I understand
nobody here knowing the answer.  However, I did not expect the FreeBSD
community to not want any questions about or mention of closely related
systems such as PC-BSD or Dragonfly on their lists.

> > Dragonfly BSD also has a different ports tree than we do. I would suggest
> > contacting the maintainer of the DF KDE ports, if they have one.
>
> Dragonfly use default pkgsrc (http://pkgsrc.org).
>
> - - Martin

kde4 was not in pkgsrc.  I was trying to compile it directly.