[kde-freebsd] backing up config files for reinstall

Pockets The Fixer identifier7 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 22:56:00 CEST 2008

i've found the ~/.kde/share/config directory as a place where there are
config files for kde to use.. i have kde-3.5.3 installed right now, and i've
been doing a general system update (from 6.1-release to 6.3-release to
7.0-release, which is done), and have decided due to various reasons that i
need to uninstall and reinstall all my ports. part of this will involve
installing kde-3.5.8_1, and my problem is this: how can i save my kde
settings (such as the panels and preferences)? i was thinking of backing up
that config directory, but i don't want to break kde if the files have been
changed between versions.. and the way some of the filenames in that dir
seem to have computer-generated hashes at their ends, it seems that this may
well happen if i simply copy the old (3.5.3) files into the same dir for
3.5.8_1.

if anyone could please tell me exactly which files i need to keep, and/or
which files i can edit to provide the same settings, i would greatly
appreciate it.. it's really the customized panels that i'm worried about
most, but there are other things that i probably can't think of now that
might need to be saved too.

-sprout

--
the above writings are entirely fictional and are not meant to be taken as
factual evidence. the author is not liable for mental instabilities incurred