[kde-freebsd] Basically: why such troubles with KDE audio?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Nov 21 19:54:33 CET 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 11:46:41AM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 10:55:48AM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > 	Folks,
> >
> > 	Long-short-short, at least two Gnome-type players work:
> > 	sound-juicer and gnome-cd.  But KsCD gives no audio.
> >
> > 	I am logged in as root while doing this initial testing,
> > 	after Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl>, noted that my
> > 	mountpoints had to be chown'd to [username].   I do want to use
> > 	tools like K3B so the cc to the kde-freebsd list.    But still
> > 	wondering, even tho I can get the KDE CD play  to display, and to
> > 	act as tho it is working---the digits count, the slider moves:
> > 	nothing from the speakers.  When I bring up gnome-cd, I have
> > 	audio.
>
> KsCD does not support digital playback of Audio CDs on FreeBSD. Your drive
> needs to be connected to your soundcard/onboard sound chip via a cable and the
> mixer corresponding with the audio input of the sound card/chip needs to be pulled up. Applications using the audiocd ioslave to play back CDs (such as AmaroK)
> do not have this requirement.
>
> Cheers,

	WEll, finally a light, thank you.  (I tried using aamaroK on my
	Ubuntu platform, but it was too confusing to learn, ad libitum,
	so I gave up. I'm building 1.4.7 now here on FBSD and this time
	will pay moore attention to the docs.)

	gary

	PS: to the -questions list: if there are *other* CD players, GUI,
	or CLI, would you please drop a line.

	PPS: When I switched from twm to ctwm (mumble) years ago, it took
	     4, 5 months to learn the nooks/crannies of ctwm.  So I don't
	     feel likr a complete idiot. (Maybe 75-80%... ;)

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix