[kde-freebsd] Basically: why such troubles with KDE audio?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Nov 20 23:00:11 CET 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:06:46PM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 10:55:48AM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > 	Folks,
> >
> > 	Long-short-short, at least two Gnome-type players work:
> > 	sound-juicer and gnome-cd.  But KsCD gives no audio.
> >
> > 	I am logged in as root while doing this initial testing,
> > 	after Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl>, noted that my
> > 	mountpoints had to be chown'd to [username].
>
> Playing music usually* has nothing to do with mountpoints. Mountpoints are only
> needed when you want to use a data CD with a filesystem on it.

	Ah, thanks for the clarification.  I might not want to get sloppy
	with data/filesystems on a CDROM... .

> >	I do want to use
> > 	tools like K3B so the cc to the kde-freebsd list.    But still
> > 	wondering, even tho I can get the KDE CD play  to display, and to
> > 	act as tho it is working---the digits count, the slider moves:
> > 	nothing from the speakers.  When I bring up gnome-cd, I have
> > 	audio.
> >
> > 	Suggestions from KDE-land, please?
>
> I'm not a KDE user, but check which audio device or output plugin the
> KDE player is trying to use. If the display works (displays artist and
> track info etc.) it is usually a sign that the data is being read OK. So
> I would ssupect the output in this case.

	it --kscd--displays the numerals, counts--up,etc.  just no audio.
	how can i  determine what output this program m is trying to use?
	AND do so without messing up  my kttsd and other such kde toys?

	I've used the "configure" option, but see nothing.

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix