[kde-freebsd] Konqueror && RSS feeds

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 13:59:38 CET 2007

On Monday 12 November 2007 09:29:58 Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El d?a Sunday, November 11, 2007 a las 08:01:35PM +0100, Michael
Rudolph escribi?:
> > On Sunday 11 November 2007 16:14:23 Matthias Apitz wrote:
> > > El d?a Saturday, November 10, 2007 a las 05:55:23PM +0100,
> > > Michael
> >
> > Rudolph escribi?:

> > > Hi Michael,
> > >
> > > That was as well already my observation and I've played around
> > > with this. As you say, if the above link-tag is included in the
> > > header of a page it works in Konqueror. Let me bring my question
> > > to the point: How this (RSS feed connectors) must be included in
> > > the correct way in web pages? Is there some RFC or other
> > > specification for this?
> > >
> > > Thx
> > >
> > > 	matthias
> >
> > Hi Matthias,
> >
> > since you seem to be seriously looking for an answer, I'll try to
> > formulate a suitable reply.
> >
> > Otherwise I'd just laugh and ask if you are serious. This is the
> > web afterall.
> >
> > For XHTML 1.0 you could have a look at it's DTD:
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
> >
> > At around line 290 you will find a comment like this one,
> > describing the relationships that might be expressed using the
> > "rel" attribute of the "link" element:
> >
> > <!--
> >   Relationship values can be used in principle:
> >
> >    a) for document specific toolbars/menus when used
> >       with the link element in document head e.g.
> >         start, contents, previous, next, index, end, help
> >    b) to link to a separate style sheet (rel="stylesheet")
> >    c) to make a link to a script (rel="script")
> >    d) by stylesheets to control how collections of
> >       html nodes are rendered into printed documents
> >    e) to make a link to a printable version of this document
> >       e.g. a PostScript or PDF version (rel="alternate"
> > media="print") -->
> >
> > So if I read this correctly and don't overlook something obvious,
> > then there is no specification for the behaviour you are looking
> > for. The handling of RSS feeds you describe seems to just be an
> > implicit standard.
> >
> > I hope that helps.
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> First of all, thanks for the explanations given so far by you.
> And just to make this sure: my concern is very seriously, because
> we are on the way to implement RSS feeds in one of our applications
> and I'm looking for the correct way to do this.
>
> I saw in the usage of RSS connectors these two forms, either
> putting them into the header of the page (like described
> above in the 'link' element) or having them as HREF-icons
> in the <body> of the page, pointing to some XML code. My
> question is, which of the both methods is the correct one?
> I'd say the 1st one, i.e. in the <head>'s 'link' element, and I
> am looking for specifications or RFC's about this.
>
> Thx
>
> 	matthias

Hi Matthias,

sorry for not being clearer so far, although I'm still not an
authoritative source on this matter, I'd conclude my research into this
field: there is no specification or RFC.

You can use the "link" element to relate a document to various other
resources. If you use its "rel" attribute to define the relation to be
of type "alternate", you can link to whatever you like. Your problem
than is conforming clients, who know what to make of this additional
metadata. In the case of RSS feeds, there seems to be an implicit
standard, for clients to allow suitable access to the referenced
resource.

But all this theory is useless in the jungle called "www". So my
practical advise would be to use the "link" element. It seems most
elegant and is understood by modern browsers. And to also use a regular
link (an anchor) inside the page, accompanied by one of those orange
icons for better recognition. And as a third option I'd include some
service like "addthis" <http://www.addthis.com> to show off, that you
know your way around the web 2.0 and because it allows your users to
conveniently add your RSS feed also to web based feed readers.

Good luck.

michael