[kde-freebsd] Konqueror && RSS feeds

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 20:01:35 CET 2007

On Sunday 11 November 2007 16:14:23 Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El d?a Saturday, November 10, 2007 a las 05:55:23PM +0100, Michael
Rudolph escribi?:
> > On Saturday 10 November 2007 15:49:59 Matthias Apitz wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm using Konqueror 3.5.4 on FreeBSD 6.2 as my favourite
> > > OS and browser. I've a question concerning attaching RSS feeds
> > > to my RSS reader aKregator: Some of the pages, like for example
> > > this one: http://www.rebelion.org/ have an RSS button in the
> > > right lower corner of the Konqueror window and I can, clicking
> > > with left mouse button on it, attach this feed to aKregator.
> > >
> > > Other pages, like for example
> > > http://www.puntodevistainternacional.org/spip.php?rubrique7
> > > have some RSS like image in the page itself which in real is
> > > a hyperlink to another page which just is XML code, and of
> > > course for the missing CSS not presented well in Konqueror.
> > >
> > > While the first one seems to be really a 'service', because
> > > after attaching it to aKregator, the aKregator is fetching from
> > > there the news, the second one seems for me just to be some
> > > additional page without any network based service.
> > >
> > > Can someone bring a bit light into this? Thanks in advance
> > >
> > > 	matthias
> >
> > Hi Matthias,
> >
> > here's my quick, but not necessarily correct, answer.
> >
> > The konqueror add-on, that displays the feed button in the
> > statusbar that you describe is looking for a "link" element in
> > webpages, if it finds something like this in the header of a page:
> >
> > <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml"
> > href="http://domain/feed/atom1.0" />
> >
> > the button will be displayed. But if the website does not provide
> > this link information the add-on will not know about associated
> > feeds, and therefore not display a button.
> >
> > I hope that helps.
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> That was as well already my observation and I've played around with
> this. As you say, if the above link-tag is included in the header of
> a page it works in Konqueror. Let me bring my question to the point:
> How this (RSS feed connectors) must be included in the correct way in
> web pages? Is there some RFC or other specification for this?
>
> Thx
>
> 	matthias

Hi Matthias,

since you seem to be seriously looking for an answer, I'll try to
formulate a suitable reply.

Otherwise I'd just laugh and ask if you are serious. This is the web
afterall.

For XHTML 1.0 you could have a look at it's DTD:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd

At around line 290 you will find a comment like this one, describing the
relationships that might be expressed using the "rel" attribute of
the "link" element:

<!--
  Relationship values can be used in principle:

   a) for document specific toolbars/menus when used
      with the link element in document head e.g.
        start, contents, previous, next, index, end, help
   b) to link to a separate style sheet (rel="stylesheet")
   c) to make a link to a script (rel="script")
   d) by stylesheets to control how collections of
      html nodes are rendered into printed documents
   e) to make a link to a printable version of this document
      e.g. a PostScript or PDF version (rel="alternate" media="print")
-->

So if I read this correctly and don't overlook something obvious, then
there is no specification for the behaviour you are looking for. The
handling of RSS feeds you describe seems to just be an implicit
standard.

I hope that helps.

michael