[kde-freebsd] Konqueror && RSS feeds

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 17:55:23 CET 2007

On Saturday 10 November 2007 15:49:59 Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Konqueror 3.5.4 on FreeBSD 6.2 as my favourite
> OS and browser. I've a question concerning attaching RSS feeds
> to my RSS reader aKregator: Some of the pages, like for example
> this one: http://www.rebelion.org/ have an RSS button in the
> right lower corner of the Konqueror window and I can, clicking
> with left mouse button on it, attach this feed to aKregator.
>
> Other pages, like for example
> http://www.puntodevistainternacional.org/spip.php?rubrique7
> have some RSS like image in the page itself which in real is
> a hyperlink to another page which just is XML code, and of
> course for the missing CSS not presented well in Konqueror.
>
> While the first one seems to be really a 'service', because
> after attaching it to aKregator, the aKregator is fetching from
> there the news, the second one seems for me just to be some
> additional page without any network based service.
>
> Can someone bring a bit light into this? Thanks in advance
>
> 	matthias

Hi Matthias,

here's my quick, but not necessarily correct, answer.

The konqueror add-on, that displays the feed button in the statusbar
that you describe is looking for a "link" element in webpages, if it
finds something like this in the header of a page:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml"
href="http://domain/feed/atom1.0" />

the button will be displayed. But if the website does not provide this
link information the add-on will not know about associated feeds, and
therefore not display a button.

I hope that helps.

michael