[kde-freebsd] broken build -- kde3

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Fri Nov 9 04:26:47 CET 2007

OK, this set of notes is mostly because I can't find a paper notepad,
but also because it's probably going to need action by someone dealing
with the KDE3 ports.  I am going to describe what I was trying to do,
and what I found in trying to fix it.

I was using portmanager to build things, and the stuff I found most
often is that, in ports with a largish set of sections that can be
optioned in, one or more of those options would be broken ... so I would
see the errors at the termination of the portmanager run, find the port
that seemed to have foundered on an optional dependency, figure which
option was giving the kiss of death, and option it out.  Too trivial, I
thought, to bother you folks with.  The last one I hit was when it
refused x11/kde3 because it couldn't  build kdemultimedia-3.5.8, which
couldn't build akode-plugins-polypaudio-2.0.1_1,1 which couldn't build
polypaudio-0.7_4.  Finally, in polypaudio-0.7_4, it actually had a real
problem, it couldn't find file polyplib-simple.h.

First off, I located that file using a little script of mine that scans
the pkg-plists for gold, and that was in polypaudio/, but that port
failed to install (not ONLY, but mainly) cause of a collision in trying
to add a new groupname to /etc/group ... but the name of the group that
was already squatting there was pulse-rt.  A bit more investigation
showed me that the polypaudio port is deprecated in favor of that new
pulseaudio port.

OK, the natural thing now was to see if that pulseaudio port supplied
the include file I was hunting (are you still awake at the end of all
this??) ... well, it wasn't.  There was another file in the pulseaudio
port that had an ending of "-simple.h" but the innards were too
different to serve as a replacement.

OK, I just did a Google on it, and I don't see any traces of a
pre-existing akode-plugins-pulseaudio port.  That would have been my
preferred way to go, to change dependencies to need this.  Crap.  OK,
then I will need to do some surgery to eliminate
akode-plugins-polypaudio as a dependency.

Well, this is too damn complicated for a PR, and unless someone with
more time with me can actually write that plugin, then I don't even see
a better fix.  Maybe whoever reads this is measureably smarter than I
am.   Good luck to you, whomever you are.

PS.  I hzve lots of disk, and I will keep the builds around for a bit,
if you wanted to give it a looksee.  Any committers, or folks who can
show me as least 3 non-trivial ports they did, just send me a ssh line
if you wanted a login.