[kde-freebsd] KDE4 Status and Support

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Fri Nov 2 11:10:08 CET 2007

On Thursday 01 November 2007 21:38:52 David Naylor wrote:
> I was wondering what condition KDE4 is in regards to FreeBSD.  Does it

The last time I built it - early last week, I think, on 6-STABLE on i386 with
XOrg 7.2 - it comes up and then KNotify does an endless crash loop, leaving
ctrl-alt-backspace as the only solution. I don't know if that is indicative.
It has been a bit quiet around here wrt. building stuff.

> compile and run, also have some ports been written for some of the
> KDE4 packages.  I have noticed a trend to break up these big
> monolithic packages into smaller units (openSuse in particular have
> done this for KDE4 and we have done it for Xorg 7.3 in ports), will
> KDE4 in ports be following suite?

With cmake it is *easier* to break stuff up, but a lot depends on the effort
of the single lonely ports maintainer.

> Lastly is there anyway I (and anyone else) can help with the effort of
> getting KDE4 to FreeBSD.

Compile, run, send patch.
Or alternatively, start the ports.

The KDE-FreeBSD IRC channel (#kde-freebsd on freenode / irc.kde.org) could use
some new blood, too.

[ade]

PS. Kiruwa: you *do* have an EBN account for building, right?