[kde-freebsd] KSayit questions... .

Bartosz Fabianowski freebsd at chillt.de
Thu May 24 01:18:49 CEST 2007

> Then I'm assuming even *with* vhans=4, ESDand aRts support other
> protocols:: yes?

I think you misunderstood what Michael meant to say. Normally, users are
expected to run one sound daemon (artsd *or* esd, depending on their
chosen desktop), which then happily hogs /dev/dsp. If people want to run
more than one sound server (as you do), they need a way around the
problem that there is only one /dev/dsp.

On FreeBSD, vchans are an elegant solution. arts and esd can use
different channels and don't conflict with each other. But what about
systems where vchans are not available or disabled by the administrator?
Here, the aRts developers had an idea: artsd does not connect to
/dev/dsp directly, but sends its output to another sound daemon, such as
esd or NAS, instead. So what you get is this chain:

* KDE applications connect to artsd
* artsd connects to esd
* GNOME applications connect to esd
* esd connects to /dev/dsp

This way, KDE apps and GNOME apps can play sound through their favorite
daemons, all happily sharing one /dev/dsp.

And I think with this, we can probably close the topic. It's drifting
far away from being KDE related and does not really fit this mailing
list anymore ;).

- Bartosz