[kde-freebsd] KSayit questions... .

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue May 22 23:39:07 CEST 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 06:49:00AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 07:55:17AM +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > On Monday, 21. May 2007, Gary Kline wrote:
> > > 	Guys,
> > >
> > > 	No responce from the -questions list, so I'm trying the KDE
> > > 	list with this re-send.  For some reason, no sound is output when
> > > 	I use KSayit.  I run Gnome, but use a number of KDE applications.
> >
> > kttsd pipes the text-to-speech engine output through arts. My guess is that
> > arts isn't running since you run Gnome, and your setup somehow prevents arts
> > from being autolaunched by kttsd. You might want to try starting arts
> > manually as part of your gnome session - make sure there is an audio device
> > left for it to allocate though.
> >

> 	I did fire up the arts daemon, but not recently.  I'll re-check.
> 	Meanwhile, here is my vchan hw output.  Would setting  these
> 	vchans to, say, 2 or 4 be helpful?
>
> p2 6:40 <tao2> [40] sysctl -a | grep vchan
> hw.snd.maxautovchans: 0
> hw.snd.pcm0.vchans: 0
>
> 	FWIW, I'm running Gnome on Unbuntu and had it on my old Kayak,
> 	and the tts apps works/worked no-problem.

	Here are more clues--even tho I did not see this on my Kayak
	which ran FBSD-6.2.  In trying to instantiate artsd as root
	(and as "kline", no joy):

unix_connect: can't connect to server
(unix:/tmp/ksocket-root/tao2.thought.org-6657-46509f23)
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Device busy)

	What I'm running is OSS and "ESD"(?).  I'm going to reboot
	with "startkde" in my ~/.xsession and see.  Meanwjile, if any of
	you can clue me in on these audio drivers, I'd be much obliged.
	I haven't rwitten a driver since ~1992 ....
--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix