[kde-freebsd] updating KDE from 3.4.2 to 3.5

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Wed May 16 20:58:56 CEST 2007

On Wednesday, 16. May 2007, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm short before updating my laptop from FreeBSD-6.0R to 6.2R,
> which brings from the ports collection the above update of KDE
> from 3.4.2 to 3.5.x. My idea is to backup all user data (and other
> stuff), install 6.2R from scratch, 'make install' all my ports
> und restore the user's HOME directories. Of course the data
> below ~/.kde and ~/Desktop will be the old KDE 3.4.2 config
> files in this case. Questions:
>
> 1. Are there any conflicts with the KDE 3.5.x and old ~/.kde files?
> 2. Any missing new features after that?

Not to my knowledge. KDE should be backwards compatible with configurations of
any previous version. Just make sure you have your complete configuration
restored before you start KDE for the first time after the update.

What might be tricky would be the actual port upgrading from 3.4.2 to 3.5.4.

From what you write I'm not sure if you plan to delete all your installed
ports/packages prior to your upgrade as well - if you don't, make sure to
read all entries in /usr/ports/UPDATING for kdebase from 20060108 onwards.

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org