[kde-freebsd] Problems with arts and short ogg files (was low-bitrate)

Axel Gonzalez loox at e-shell.net
Thu Mar 22 04:19:15 CET 2007

First sorry for duplicate thread, I'm not suscribed to list.

Second, I neglect to mention that not all notifications failed, only a few

>> I'm tryng:
>> $ artsplay KDE_Beep_Car.ogg

> Literally? I wouldn't expect that to work, but
> artsplay /usr/local/share/sounds/KDE_Beep_Car.ogg works for me ...

file is on the same dir :)

>> Files also fail in amarok/noatun

> With amarok configured to use the arts backend I assume.

Yes, tried with esd as amarok's backend, and it plays fine.

> You might additionally want to try recompiling akode\*

Tried that with no luck.

Did a little more testing, and I was mistaken, problem is with *short* ogg
files.

I tried another test files (just the same beep concatenated), and exported at
lowest quality (bitrate):

-r--r--r--   1 loox  loox    5829 Mar 20 23:00 KDE_Beep_Car.ogg
-rw-r--r--   1 loox  loox   20066 Mar 21 20:27 KDE_Beep_Car_03.ogg
-rw-r--r--   1 loox  loox   16121 Mar 21 20:30 KDE_Beep_Car_04.ogg

KDE_Beep_Car_03.ogg is 8 beeps, but with artsplay, I can only hear 4
KDE_Beep_Car_04.ogg is 6 - played 4

KDE_Beep_Car_03.ogg: Ogg data, Vorbis audio, mono, 44100 Hz, ~48000 bps,
created by: Xiph.Org libVorbis I

Files were made with audacity (using same libvorbis)

After this i think problem is only with arts (ie no decoding problems), maybe
akode (?). And the problem is with the first bytes sent to arts (or arts
receiving them) 4096 bytes ? 8192 ?

Guess I'll have to live with long notifications until I can take a look at the
code.. sigh

--

         *
           **