[kde-freebsd] Old styling on freebsd.kde.org

Daniel W. Steinbrook dsteinbrook at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 16:32:06 CET 2007

With only a little effort, my locally checked out version of the FreeBSD
on KDE site is a modern KDE project site through and through.  The content
is basically the same, but I've made a few siginificant changes:
  - The FAQ page uses the new standard FAQ framework (a Faq object), so the
questions and answers are formatted in a standard fashion.
(Unfortunately, due to the lengths of the questions, the generated URLs
for the page anchors are horribly long.)
- The main page gets its news from a news.rdf file that it parses, using
the same feed-displaying functions that the kde.org main page uses.  This
file can also serve as the RSS feed, so updating news.rdf would update
both the feed and the front page news.
- I added a howto that I had written recently on getting the Qt-based HP
Linux Printing & Imaging Device Toolbox up and running in KDE on FreeBSD.

So, there are two options for getting this prettified site online:
1. Commit the files to the existing repository, which would require
updating (i.e. duplicating) the includes and classes to the more recent
KDE site framework, and having to deal with this same problem again in a
few years, or
2. Commit the files to the KDE Subversion repository, under the
trunk/www/sites/freebsd branch (which doesn't currently exist), where it
can share its PHP libraries with the other sites and thereby receive the
same updates as the other KDE pages.

Of course, I'd strongly recommend the latter option, but I don't know what
kind of rigmarole it takes to commit something to KDE SVN.

Are there any other web features in need?  This was actually kinda fun :)

- Daniel W. Steinbrook