[kde-freebsd] ports/109974: some kdelibs depend sholud be optional

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 9 13:58:11 CET 2007

On Friday, 9. March 2007 05:25, Dima Panov wrote:
> On 8 March 2007 05:40, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> >  mDNSResponder and libthai are small leaf dependencies which provide
> > important features to kdelibs to those who need them and which cannot be
> > added by a binary plugin later. We deem the small overhead (2 mb source
> > code for mDNSResponder and libthai combined or 1 mb for the mDNSResponder
> > + libthai binary packages combined) acceptable for everyone and not worth
> > adding additional complexity to the port.
>
> Is it possible to use Avahi instead of mDNSResponder with fresh KDE?
> mDNSResponder is not ready to IPv6, which is used in our neighborhood, and
> running avahi-daemon and mDNSd at same machine lead to duplicate names.

You can deinstall mDNSResponder and install avahi with the libdns_sd
compatibility turned on (the avahi port has an option for that) and things
should just work, but if you're going to recompile kdelibs afterwards, you
will additionally need to add the avahi include dirs to CXXFLAGS so kdelibs
will find the mDNSResponder compatibility header and enable the feature.

We couldn't depend on avahi in kdelibs in the past in order to maintain
FreeBSD 4.x compatibility, which isn't an issue anymore, so we might switch
the dependency over to avahi properly at some point.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org