[kde-freebsd] Java windows in KDE don't retain "Keep Above Others" attribute

James Long james at umpquanet.com
Fri Jun 15 22:52:48 CEST 2007

(Please cc: me as I am not subscribed.)

First, thanks to the java support team for all their work on the
native FreeBSD implementation.  I really appreciate it more than
I can adequately express.

With respect, I want to report a slight annoyance that I have
found.

It relates to window behaviour under KDE, so I am also copying
kde at freebsd.org in case this problem falls in their camp.

For most KDE windows, if I set the "Keep Above Others" attribute
in the Advanced sub-menu (right-click title bar, Advanced, Keep
Above Others), that setting persists across both "Minimize" and
"Shade" operations.  For example, Gnumeric and Seamonkey both
retain the "Keep Above Others" attribute.  That is, if I "KAO"
a Gnumeric window, and then minimize it, I can see the other windows.
If I then restore the minimized Gnumeric window, it stays above
all other windows, indicating the "KAO" is still active.

If I "KAO" a java window, it stays above others until I minimize
it, but upon restoring the minimized Java window, the "KAO" bit
has been cleared, and the window will not stay on top of
others unless I re-set the KAO bit.  This is evident both in the
behaviour of the window, and also in the Advanced / Keep Above
Others menu dialogue -- the little embossed up-icon that indicates
that KAO is active is NOT there after I restore a minimized Java
window.

KAO gets turned off likewise when I Shade the window.  If I Shade
a Java window, then move the window focus to some other window,
the Java window disappears behind the newly-selected window, even
though the KAO bit is set on the Java window.  Again, this is
reflected in both the window behaviour and the loss of the
embossed up-icon indicator.

None the less, though, thanks again for a product which is
very useable and dependable.

Regards,

Jim