[kde-freebsd] ports/113295: net-im/kopete: pleawse add 'make config' to choose kopete plugins to install

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 5 11:30:09 CEST 2007

The following reply was made to PR ports/113295; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Michael Nottebrock <lofi at freebsd.org>
To: bug-followup at freebsd.org, goffredo at gmail.com
Cc: kde at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/113295: net-im/kopete: pleawse add 'make config' to choose
 kopete plugins to install
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 11:23:52 +0200

 Mark Linimon schrieb:
 > Old Synopsis: make config, im ports, to choose kopete plugins to install
 > New Synopsis: net-im/kopete: pleawse add 'make config' to choose kopete plugins to install

 Of course an OPTIONS menu that only triggers configure switches falls
 somewhat short of a good solution, however: It seems that kopete indeed
 has become modular enough recently to allow building and installing all
 of its supported protocols and feature-plugins separately, so splitting
 the kopete port up further into kopete,
 kopete-protocols-[msn|y!m|icq|jabber|...] and
 kopete-plugins-[connectionstatus|nowlistenening|translator|...] indeed
 seems feasible and useful, since it would allow people to significantly
 cut down on compilation time (or download volume for binary packages).
 Alas, I don't have the time and there is already KDE 3.5.7, KOffice
 1.6.3 and Qt 4.3 on my todo list to keep me occupied.

 If anybody is interested in doing this, please feel free to try at any
 pace you like, just send a quick reply to this message to let us and
 other interested people know that you're working on it (this sort of
 thing can be very well done in cooperation, too). To summarize:

 Junior Job Description:

 Tasks:
 - Split kopete into base port, protocol ports and plugin ports.
 - Include OPTIONS menu into base port that triggers runtime dependencies
 on protocol/plugin ports to ease transition for users.

 Goals:
 - Plugin and protocol ports must be buildable independently from base
 port and other plugin/protocol ports.
 - All new ports must yield a working binary package.
 - Plist substitutions must not be used.

 Required skills:
 - Familiarity with ports framework and autoconf  a plus, but learning on
 the job through copy, read & paste perfectly possible.

 Available help:
 - The kdenetwork (+lanbrowsing, kopete), kdegraphics (+kooka, kamera,
 kuickshow) and akode (+akode-plugins) ports are good templates.
 - Feel free to contact me directly or via the mailing list in case of
 questions, but please allow for somewhat long response times.

 Cheers,
    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org