[kde-freebsd] issues with most recent KDE

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 11 16:34:08 CEST 2007

On Wednesday, 11. July 2007, Mikhail T. wrote:
> Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > Do you have a kde-np pam service definition? See
> > http://freebsd.kde.org/faq.php#HowdoIenablepasswordlessconvenienceloginsi
> >nKDMIcheckedthecheckboxintheLoginManagerControlbutKDMwontlogmein
>
> Why is this necessary? KDM comes with a nice GUI configuration utility,
> yet I have to jump through extra hoops to use it? Should not the port
> either do it, or patch KDM to not require it?

The nice gui really does nothing but let kdm use a different pam service for
those users selected for passwordless logins.

As for automatically installing the service definition: There is no mechanism
in ports to automatically do this, doing it in the port would be quite ugly
and intrusive (I don't think any port should diddle with anything
in /etc/pam.d, much less a kde port) and finally, passwordless convenience
logins and a pam service definition that doesn't check passwords are such a
security hazard that I reckon it's okay to give users who really want to use
it anyway the bit of extra trouble to look at the FAQ. :)

> >> 	   Even if the user clicks "Forever", they still get prompted
> >> 	   next time kmail is started.
> >
> > Sounds like kded isn't running - if you have the klaptopdaemon port
> > installed,
>
> Mmm, this is not a laptop. I don't know, what kded nor klaptopdaemon
> are... Again, this is a new install of KDE from ports.

Actually, I'm not so sure anymore if this is kded/kwallet issue, but anyway: I
*think* that certificate acceptance settings are stored in a user's kwallet
(along with account passwords), so make sure you have kwallet set up. It
should pop up an assistant to enable it as soon as a user tries to store a
password somewhere, but you can also enable it from the Control Center,
Security & Privacy, KDE Wallet.

If it is running and configured, but you're still seeing this issue, run 'dcop
kded kwalletd' to check if kded is actually running. If you
get "object 'kwalletd' in application 'kded' not accessible", then kded
hasn't come up during startkde and you'll need to check .xsession-errors for
kded-related diagnostic messages and/or errors.

If kded and kwallet are in fact working properly, but the issue persists,
please file a bug report at http://bugs.kde.org and report the number it gets
assigned here.

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org