[kde-freebsd] Session management in Qt4

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 23 17:48:18 CET 2007

On Thursday, 22. February 2007 10:55, Arjan van Leeuwen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First, a big 'thank you' for the Qt4 ports - it's great to have it in ports
> before KDE will actually need it.
>
> I have a question about them though. Why is it that session management is
> disabled by default (-no-sm option to configure)? Was there a specific
> reason to do this? The software I develop relies on this functionality, and
> I'd like to be able to depend on the ports. Enabling it doesn't seem to
> give me any problems here.

Every third party application I tested (i.e. anything but the Qt4 demos)
crashed when run under KDE (3) with session management enabled, that is why
it is disabled. I only investigated the issue far enough so I could pinpoint
it to the session management support - whether it is a bug in ksmserver,
libICE, Qt4 or the crashing Qt4 applications themselves, I cannot tell. I'd
be glad if someone could investigate this further and if possible provide a
generic fix workaround that could be easily applied ports-wide.

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org